‘Whip’ wins ‘Golden Brush’ award

Sculptor L.Myangantsetseg has been selected the winner of the ‘Golden Brush 2013’ award for her creation titled ‘Whip’.

The award was announced at the ‘Golden Brush 2013’ exhibition, which opened on February 27 at the Union of Mongolian Artists Exhibition Hall. The ‘Golden Brush’ event is organized annually by the Union of Young Artists and the Union of Mongolian Artists. The event is open to artists under the age of 35.

This year’s event was the seventh ‘Golden Brush’ exhibition and featured over 100 artworks, including line drawings, fine art, photo art, ceramics and sculpture.

In 2012, student Ts.Batbayar from the Mongolian State University of Art and Culture was selected as the winner of the ‘Golden Brush’ for his painting titled ‘Eternal.’

L.Myangantsetseg is one of few female sculptors in Mongolia. She graduated from Institute of Fine Arts in 2009. She sat down with us to tell us more about her work.

- Congratulations on being selected as the winner of the ‘Golden Brush’. Please tell us about your creation, ‘Whip’

-I am very happy to be the winner of the ‘Golden Brush’ with my creation titled ‘Whip’. I made this whip using a design by Dariganga.

-Craftwork requires a lot of time. How long did you take to make your creation, ‘Whip’?

-I spent one year making it.

-Is it easy for women to choose craftwork as a profession?

-I think there has no difficulty if you love and enjoy what you are doing. I graduated from high school, where I studied painting, then selected a metal work class in 2005. It seemed a nice profession to me. I always appreciate my teacher for passing on to me Mongolian metal working heritage.

-It is very hard for metal workers to produce solo exhibitions. But, doesn’t every artist want to produce solo exhibitions?

-Yes. Producing a solo exhibition is not that easy. Metal work requires using precious metals and stones, so materials are very expensive. I am planning to release a solo exhibition in a few years time. I am working on television besides working on my artworks. So I don’t have much leisure time.

-Has ‘Whip’ been sold?

-Yes, ‘Whip’ and ‘Silver Bowl’ have already been sold.

-Tell me how much they cost, if it is not a secret?

-‘Silver bowl’ sold for around 2 million MNT and ‘Whip’ for around 8 million MNT.

Short URL: http://ubpost.mongolnews.mn/?p=3251

Comments

Popular posts from this blog