D.Oyunomin: Anybody can wear anything any way they want

The following interview is with D.Oyunomin or Nora, who is a model at Coco Chanel. She has been modeling in many countries, and recently visited Mongolia for a short period of time. This condensed interview was translated from Undesnii Shuudan Newspaper.

-You are a model for famous agencies in Milan, Italy, and Singapore. Milan is a city where the most influential fashion designers converge and determine style and fashion in the world. In your eyes, how is fashion trending around the globe?

-I am not the person who can judge fashion – I will try my best to answer this. Fashion trends are everywhere and are heading in many directions. Depending on the brand, each of them is changing in different ways. Some people would say, “This particular color is in fashion this fall,” but really – every sort of clothing is in fashion. Any clothing can be changed in so many ways – it can even be mixed with clothing from the previous century to look even better and “cooler.” There are no set rules for fashion in clothes.

Maybe we used to say, “You cannot wear this that way” before, but that has changed. Anybody can wear anything any way they want.

-You have been modeling abroad for 13 years. Just last year, Mongolia heard some news that you were modeling for Coco Chanel. Tell us about your experience as a model and your encounters with fashion designers and models.

-I modeled for Coco Chanel in its “Chanel Cruise” Fashion Show in 2010. During the elimination, twenty out of 200 to 300 models were picked for the show and I was one of them. I was both studying and working at that time, so I was very busy. Nevertheless, I could not miss this chance.

Previously, I was also a part of Hermes, Max Mara, and Dolce & Gabbana Fashion Shows. I think the Chanel Cruise one is the only show that Mongolians know about. This is probably because I did not go around telling people about my whereabouts and work because they are all a part of my job. I am happy that I was able to become a part of all these well-known fashion shows.

I think Chanel has this ability to “consume” their models – when I wear clothes, I look Nora. But when I wore Chanel clothing, the only word that could describe me was Chanel. Despite not telling people about the shows I model in, I am very happy about all the fashion shows where I was present. It is important to leave a legacy, and maybe later tell my children that “I really did it.”

-Not many models have the chance to model for Chanel, let alone Mongolian models. Chanel has this special standard which casts out many models. Can we understand that you have met that standard of Chanel’s?

-Yes, we can say that. I began modeling at the age of 17 in Mongolia. The state of fashion and modeling in Mongolia was very different back in 1999 – now it is relatively “open.” People did not understand it completely at that time – today, we are learning from other countries and we have new magazines emerging as well. I also did not pay as much attention to modeling as I should have – I only modeled for Goyol Fashion Show once a year. I was simply one of the tall girls.

New opportunities opened up when my family traveled to Singapore – this was a first for me to work and study at the same time. When I began modeling there, the fashion designers and models were very much impressed with my physical build and skin complexion – which I admit, surprised me, too. To tell you the truth, I was somewhat ashamed of my not-very-light skin. So my time in Singapore made me realize my potential and I was much more confident than before. I consider myself a very lucky person because right now in Ulaanbaatar, there are many people who do not have anyone to show their potential to or who have not yet understood their gifts. But I was able to show myself to others, and more importantly, I was able to see myself. I want other models to see themselves for who they are and become successful models. I recently modeled for Gobi Cashmere with Subedei, who is a young Mongolian model. He has great potential and future – I want him to go out and let the world know of his name. I am helping him as much as I can with all the experience I have – I am currently contacting agencies in Bangkok, Singapore, Milan, and New York. I do not have the power to establish a modeling agency myself but I can get him in contact with a few famous ones.

Every model needs assistance – especially the younger ones who need somebody to open a couple of doors for them. My sister opened those doors for me. I learned so much from modeling everywhere.

-You were photographed by many modeling agencies all around the world. I have even met Mongolians who said they saw you on huge billboards and signs in urban cities in other countries. Tell us about photography in foreign countries and how is Mongolia’s progress in photography?

-The photographers know their job inside out. For example, when I speak with you I have nothing to worry about because you are an experienced journalist and have prepared everything in advance. This is how I feel when I am working with foreign photographers and other people who are in the fashion industry. Everybody knows exactly what they are doing. Honestly, fashion photography abroad has developed much more, on a much higher level than the one in Mongolia. It has a long history and has been in development for many years, thus only the best remain today.

I was part of a photo shoot in Milan last year. It was in one of the five famous studios in Italy. The photographer there was simply amazing. I thought that if one does something they are best at, they can be extremely successful. No matter what country you are in, whether it is Mongolia or abroad, the most important factor of success is teamwork and the people in the team. Sometimes I work with a wonderful team, but sometimes it is not the case. I think magazines and newspapers should be as open as they can when they are working together with another group. They should be able to listen and take advice from others.

Mongolian magazines and photography do not have a long history and it has not been a long time since they actually began to progress, but nevertheless, they are getting better every day. I feel that magazine editors and photographers lack the ability to collaborate with each other and listen to other people’s advice and ideas. I think it is very difficult to work with people who are constantly negating each other. I think we’ll be much more successful if we truly work together in unison. In foreign markets, the ones who can work together are obviously much more successful. A model’s life and career can be cruel. They do not have friends – only the best climb the ladder. If you can’t do it, then it is goodbye for them. This is because you cannot fool eyes – ears can be fooled, but not eyes.

-What are your special qualities that make you stand out from other models?

-People say that my face is always changing. A photographer told me that my face is like a white paper – it can change in many ways. Every model has something special and I think my face is it for me. It is seen that most Asians look similar to each other because of their eyes but I look different because of my facial complexion. I think that’s why my face is of particular interest to some photographers and model agencies.

Short URL: http://ubpost.mongolnews.mn/?p=3142

Comments

Popular posts from this blog