B.Ser-Od: ‘I had a strategy to keep some distance at the end of the race.’

The UB Post previously reported the good news that Mongolian athlete B.Ser-Od won the 14th Asian Marathon Championship last week. The athlete came back home last Tuesday from Hong Kong. The following is a short interview with him.

-Congratulations on your victory. Could you share your thoughts about the competition?

-Thank you. Over 30 runners from 24 Asian countries competed in the Asian Marathon Championship and 20 of them successfully finished the race. The marathon was particularly competitive because athletes who met the qualifications of the Asian Championship competed in it. Other athletes were all very well-trained; especially from Japan, Kyrgyzstan, and Qatar. I ran among the leading group in the half of the race and had a strategy to keep some distance in front of the others in the last half.

-The weather in Hong Kong is very hot and humid. Did you have any difficulty?

-It was hard for me because the weather is hot but it gets windy time to time. I had started my training for this marathon last October and trained until February 24 in Beijing.

-Some press and media stated that you became the Asian Champion for the second time?

-No. This is the first gold medal for Mongolia from the Asian Marathon Championship. I was also very surprised when I heard that. But I am happy about this, as Mongolians say that talking about good things attracts them in the future, so I may win another gold one day.

-Why do you think people have mistaken the two gold medals?

-The annual Osaka Marathon took place last November. I won the marathon with a time of two hours, eleven minutes, and 54 seconds, which became my personal best record.

-Will you participate in the World Marathon Championship in August this year?

-This year’s World Championship will be held in Moscow, Russia from August 10 to 18. I am going to start my recovery training in the middle of March. When I finish that training, I will begin my main training in Beijing for the World Championship.

-Why don’t you train in Mongolia?

-Because there is no track and field road in Mongolia for long-distance runners. I used to run across the road by the Ikh Tengeriin Am-Zaisan route, but cars go constantly along the road making it difficult to train there.

-What was the specialty of the Hong Kong marathon road?

-It is one of the most difficult roads in Asia and even in the world. The first eight to 10 kilometers of the road is ascending and the ending 32 to 36 kilometers was a tunnel under the sea. This part of the road was quite difficult.

-How did you get the funding for your expenses to participate in this competition?

-I would like to thank Altan Taria Company and Chingeltei District’s Department No. 1.

Short URL: http://ubpost.mongolnews.mn/?p=3135

Comments

Popular posts from this blog