O.Baatar: This will be my last exhibition

Collector O.Navaan (known as O.Baatar) exhibits an exposition of his personal collection of items relating to General D.Sukhbaatar on February 2 of every year. It has been 48 years since he began his exhibitions. He began collecting memorabilia relating to General Sukhbaatar when he was 8 years old and his collection includes postage stamps, photographs, banknotes, coins, books, sculptures, newspapers and portraits. It is difficult to collect such things and exhibit them annually. Few can achieve what O.Navaan has. Especially since his work is not related to collecting things. He is a professional driver. To mark the 120th anniversary of General D.Sukhbaatar’s birth, I interviewed O.Baatar about his collection.

-It has been 48 years since you began collecting memorabilia related to General Sukhbaatar. Can you share with us the history of your collection?

-History is so strange. The “Sukhbaatar’s Club”, an art fireside club was established in Amgalanbaatar city in late 1924, upon the initiative of General Sukhbaatar. Unfortunately, the first club building collapsed in 1943. 

At the time, the citizens of Amgalanbaatar city appealed to have it rebuilt. My parents were on the committee and we joined with other volunteers to rebuild the building. I was eight at the time and my name was O.Navaan. The club was rebuilt in 1944. During the opening ceremony for the rebuilt building, a celebratory meeting was held. At the meeting, the Chairman of the club L.Terbish said to me “I grant the name Baatar to you in honor of Sukhbaatar” and gave me a red item with Sukhbaatar’s image on it. So my name became O.Baatar when I was eight. I thought that since I took part of General Sukhbaatar’s name, I should publicize General Sukhbaatar. Then I started to collect memorabilia relating to General Sukhbaatar. I exhibited my first exhibition in 1966 at the “Second School” via a wall newspaper. Now my collection includes around 500 items related to General Sukhbaatar.

-Did you spend lot of money on your collection?
-Yes. I spent lot of money to collect those items. My friends gave me some too, but I bought most of my collection. I spent 50 percent of my salary to buy these items. My mind has expanded through collecting, researching and studying these items. I keep everything in my home, which is why some items are damaged. It is not easy to keep a collection without damage.

-There is any support from the government?

-The Mongolian People’s Party has provided good support. I have exhibited my collection with the support of the Mongolian People’s Party in the past years. Even this year the Mongolian People’s Party” organized my exhibition, which included paying the rent on the hall, fixing the photographs, etc. I am very grateful for their support.

-Will you continue your exhibition in the future?

-I want to, but my health is has become poor in recent years. I think this year will be my last exhibition. I will sell my collection, if there is a place that will buy it. Of course I will not give the items away for free because I spent a lot of time, money and hard work to collect them.

-What about your children? Aren’t they continuing your collection?

-My children cannot continue to collect the items. My son is supporting me a lot. But it is hard to collect and cherish these items.

-Can you give us an estimate of the value of your collection?

-I do not know, exactly. A friend of mine said that if I hadn’t collected so many things, I would own my own house by now (laughs).

-How many items relating to General D.Sukhbaatar do you have? Have you counted them?

-Around 50 to 60 postage stamps, around 100 books, 20 sculptures, 60 to 70 souvenirs and 50 various items.

-What is your real profession? I heard that you have various professions?

-I am a driver and worker. In addition, I am a “Sport’s Master” in football. In the arts, I am the number one honored member of the “General Club”.

- The collection must have been difficult to compile. Did you waver in your resolve to collect and exhibit?

- Yes. My resolve wavered several times. At those times I always remembered a quote of General Sukhbaatar’s: “Do not give up until you fulfill your purpose”.

Short URL: http://ubpost.mongolnews.mn/?p=2833

Comments

Popular posts from this blog